SAVE THE DATE!
Hot Springs Village Urban Deer Hunt Orientation is July 8, 2023
Procedures for the HSV 2023-2024 Urban Deer Hunt have changed significantly. This article will cover the following:
- Purpose of the hunt
- The plan
- Who can hunt
- What must I do to participate in the 2023 – 2024 Hot Springs Village Urban Deer Hunt?
- Set stands date
Purpose of the HSV Urban Deer Hunt
The purpose of the urban hunt is to help control our overpopulation of deer. The deer herd in the Village currently is estimated to be approximately 2-2.5 times as many deer as our forage can support.
The HSVPOA will handle all responsibilities previously handled by the Arkansas Bowhunters Association (ABA). The cost of hunting is $75 per hunter. These tasks include:
- Registration on the website (Details for accessing the website are coming soon!) Field Day/Orientation at the Woodlands/Ponce de Leon Center at 1101 DeSoto Boulevard, Hot Springs Village.
- Qualification shoot at orientation
Who can hunt
The hunt is ONLY open to HSV Property Owners and their Registered Guests, HSV Employees, and State-Wide First Responders.
- HSV Employees are invited to hunt (no guests)
- First Responders State-wide (Police, Firefighters, and Ambulance/EMTs) are invited to hunt (no guests)
- First Responders must have their Driver’s License and Badge at the orientation/qualification.
- ONE Guest per Property Owner
- Only Property Owners are permitted to sponsor a Guest.
- Each Property Owner must attend the orientation/qualification with the guest.
- Property Owners must have their Membership Cards with them when qualifying.
- Example: In the case of two people owning property, each is permitted to have one guest, and both Property Owners must accompany their Guests at the orientation/qualification. Both POA cards are required at the orientation/qualification.
- Guests must have their Driver’s License at the orientation/qualification.
- Property Owners are responsible for the behavior of their sponsored Guests. If a guest violates ANY of the rules, BOTH the Guest AND the Property Owner could lose their hunting privileges.
SELECT YOUR GUEST WISELY!
What must I do to participate in the 2023 – 2024 Hot Springs Village Urban Deer Hunt?
- Register on the HSV Urban Deer Hunt website. (Site is soon to be announced)
- Take the Bowhunter Education Class online. (Current cost is $30.) If you take the online course, you still need to attend the Hot Springs Village Urban Deer Hunt Orientation to access the Field Day portion. International Bowhunter Education Program (IBEP) Online Education at https://bowhunter-ed.com.
- Each crossbow hunter must take and pass the new Crossbow Education Class online.
- Proof of completion of the Bowhunter Education Class is mandatory to participate in the HSV Urban Deer Hunt. Also, proof of completion of the Crossbow Education Class is mandatory for crossbow hunters to participate in the HSV Urban Deer Hunt.
- Attend the Hot Springs Village Urban Deer Hunt Orientation on July 8, 2023. (Cost is $75.) The following groups will participate in conducting the registration:
- Hot Springs Village POA
- Arkansas Game & Fish Commission (AGFC)
- Game Wardens (Garland & Saline Counties)
- Hunters Feeding the Hungry (HFTH)
- Pass a shooting proficiency test at orientation. (3 arrows in the kill zone.)
- Must meet the minimum age requirement (16) and have a valid Arkansas Hunting License.
- Receive deer tags and a placard upon successful completion of all requirements.
Set stands August 19, 2023 August 19, 2023, is the date to set your stands. (edited May 10, 2023)
Set stands August 1, 2023
By Cheryl Dowden
Can military personnel participate?
So is it still a requirement for us to renew our Arkansas Bowhunters Association fee as well for this 2023 – 2024 Hunt? Please advise.
Tony, please contact [email protected]. Thanks!
Can military personnel participate?
You are welcome.
What Crossbow safety course? The only ones on the Hunter Ed site are for Alaska and another state, not Arkansas.
The (ICEB) International Crossbow Education Program is NOT a requirement to participate in the HSV Urban Deer Hunt. Sorry for the confusion.
OK, thanks for clarifying. I assume Tod will get the news out as we approach July 8 on where to register and pay our fee. Thanks for the info.
A website is coming for registration and more details. Stay tuned. The fee must be paid at orientation. Thanks!