HSVPOA Charlie Brown, Director of Compliance & Contract Management, answers six questions on various subjects this week, including private property mowing, trash cans storage, feeding of wildlife, two tree questions, and where to find information on what actions require a permit.

Compliance-related questions may be asked in the comment section on this website. Thanks!

The neighbor doesn’t keep up with mowing

Q – What can be done if the neighbor across the street will not mow his yard? The weeds are 3 feet high.

A – Notify Compliance and lodge a complaint.  You can notify Compliance in the following ways: 

  1. Call 501-992-5562 (You may have to leave a message, it is a very busy office).  
  2. Email at

Where can trash cans be stored?

Q – Do trash cans have to be out of sight or not? Because I see more and more trash cans everywhere!! Really? Our Village needs to have all the trash cans, vehicles off the yards, pontoons on trailers put in storage and not in front yards. Tacky!

A – By our Protective Covenant’s section 24, trash cans must be stored where they cannot be seen from the street or in an area approved by the POA.  The current Rules & Regulations state the POA approves the POA-issued trash carts to be stored next to the garage. However, the Board of Directors is reviewing this rule.  No other trash cans are allowed to be stored where they can be seen.   

 “24. Garbage and Refuse Disposal. No Lot or Parcel of Land of The Properties shall be used or maintained as a dumping ground for rubbish. Trash, garbage or other waste shall be kept in appropriate sealed containers stored out of sight from the street, within a carport or in an area approved by the POA; placed at the curb no earlier than the day before collection; and removed from the curb within 24 hours of collection.”

Where can I find the list of required permits?

Q – Are these required permits written down somewhere? If they are, it would be much easier to read the list instead of asking/writing a question each time a situation arises. At my age, it’s hard to remember which questions I’ve asked before or the answers I received. It would also save Mr. Brown a lot of time. I’m sure he has more important things to do.

A – Yes, please go to the following link.  Click here to go to our website under: Services- Permitting & Inspections- Submit a permit. 

Feeding of wildlife

Q – Can we feed deer or geese?  

A – It is a policy violation to feed deer or Geese in Hot Springs Village.  Violators are subject to fines or other penalties.  

Policy Guide Chapter 2, Article 7:  “The feeding of Canada Geese in and around Hot Springs Village lakes and golf courses is prohibited. The feeding of deer and bears is also prohibited except during sanctioned hunts or trapping for safety reasons.”

Does the POA remove problem trees on my property?

Q – If there are surrounding trees on our property that needs to come down, as the roots are showing. Does the POA take them down? I have sent in a request and heard nothing.

A – The POA cannot remove any trees from private property.  On improved lots ½ acre or less, the property owner may remove any trees.  On improved lots more than ½ acre, a permit may be obtained to remove trees larger than 3 inches in diameter at breast height.  Smaller trees may be removed.  Any tree removal more than 3 inches in diameter at breast height on unimproved lots needs a permit. 

What can I do if a neighbor’s tree falls on my property?

Q – If a neighboring lot that doesn’t have a house on it has a tree fall onto my property, whose responsibility is it, and how can we enforce it if they don’t live here nor care?

A – Fallen trees from another property are an issue between the two property owners.  Property owners can go to county websites (public information) to obtain contact information for property owners.  Trees from common property threatening homes or that have fallen on private property are the responsibility of the POA.    

Compliance Corner

With Charlie Brown