GM Explains July 1 Fireworks Display Date
At the Board Retreat on May 2, 2023, HSVPOA General Manager Kelly Hale explained why the fireworks celebration would not be on July 4 this year. Hale said there had been some complaints regarding the date of the 2023 fireworks, and he wanted to address this issue and clarify why the decision was made.
Hale stated that this year, the firework display at Balboa Beach would be on Saturday, July 1. Hale said, “Like many municipalities, they don’t always do them on the fourth, but I will explain my logic.
- This date change allows Villagers’ friends and family who work a Monday through Friday schedule not to have to take off work. They can travel over the weekend to enjoy the fireworks.
- Not everyone living in the Village is retired. Displaying the fireworks on the weekend could be a better schedule fit for working Villagers who need to rise early the next morning to go to work.
- Our staff would like to have Independence Day off to spend with their families and friends. This has not been done in the past. Our employees deserve to spend time with their friends and families on the Fourth of July.
- When our employees work on a holiday, we pay double time. This is a cost issue.
The General Manager said the date adjustment was a responsible decision. Hale said, “Our directors ran the models over previous years.” Directors are making adjustments to eliminate overtime pay. “We don’t just willy-nilly things. There was a lot of discussion about this.”
There is a fun-filled calendar to celebrate the 2023 Stars and Stripes Celebration. In addition to the fireworks display, other activities are listed below.
Family Movie Night – Featuring Home Alone at Outdoor Pool
Friday, June 30, 2023 – 8:30 p.m.
Join us at the Outdoor Pool for a family-oriented Dive-In movie featuring Home Alone—pool admission is required. Food will be available for sale.
Kids Fishing Derby
Saturday, July 1, 2023 – 7:30 a.m.
Free fishing derby for kids at Lake Cortez pavilion, stocked by Arkansas Game and Fish Commission and sponsored by HSV Parks and Recreation, HSV Lakes Ecology, and HSV Anglers Club. A limited amount of fishing poles will be available for use. Please bring your fishing pole if you have one. The derby will end at approximately 10:30 AM. Registration is not required if you live in Hot Springs Village or are a sponsored guest inside Hot Springs Village. If you live outside of Hot Springs Village and would like to participate, call 922.0322 ext. 2310 for a link to receive your ticket.
Stars and Stripes Fireworks Spectacular
Saturday, July 1, 2023 – 9:15 p.m.
Come out to Balboa Beach and enjoy the Hot Springs Village annual Fireworks Display starting at 9:15 p.m. Bounce houses and food trucks will be on-site. Limited parking is available at the Beach.
Balboa Baptist Church shuttles will run from 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and drop off at the Balboa Beach Pavilion.
Christ of the Hills shuttles will run from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and drop off at the dam (animal welfare league entrance area). They will not go to the pavilion. (See more information on the fireworks shuttle and parking information at the end of this article.)
HSV Anglers Fishing Tournament
Sunday, July 2, 2023 – 6:30 a.m.
WHERE – Lake Balboa
TIME – Start 6:30 a.m. Weigh-in 11:30 a.m.
COST – $20 per team plus $5 for Big Bass Pot (Pay at the ramp)
PRIZES – 100% payout – and big bass pot to team with biggest bass. Places paid will be determined by number of teams participating.
To read more about the Fishing Tournament, go here and scroll down.
Stars & Stripes Fun Run and Walk
Monday, July 3, 2023 – 9:30 a.m.
Join us at Balboa Pavilion for the Stars and Stripes Fun Run and Walk. The run is 5k, and the walk is 1k. Live music and food will be available after the event.
Check-in is at 9:30 a.m., and the run begins at approximately 10:00 a.m. Age groups are 29 and under, 30 to 49, and 50+. Registration includes a T-Shirt. All participants must sign a waiver.
Balboa Yacht Club Lighted Boat Parade
Monday, July 3, 2023 – 7:30 p.m.
It’s time again for our July 3, 2022, Lighted Boat parade, hosted by the Balboa Yacht Club, in honor of the 4th of July. You do not have to be a member of the Balboa Yacht Club to participate; just show up with your decorated boat.
We will gather at the spillway on Lake Balboa at 7:30 p.m. on July 3rd and travel through all the coves on Lake Balboa. To ensure you see the Boat Parade, please leave your porch light on so we will know how far to go into each cove. This parade will end at approximately 10 PM. We had 65 boats participate last year and are hoping for even more this year! If you have any questions, call (501-922-1976) or email Stacey Lloyd (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Fireworks Shuttle and Parking
• Balboa Boat Ramp will close at 3 pm. The boat ramp will reopen after all pedestrians have left the area. Limited Boat Ramp parking will be moved to the middle/north side of the parking lot. Boat trailers may also be parked at the Ponce de Leon Center.
• First-come parking is available at the beach parking lot on a limited basis. The parking lot closes at 7 pm. Vehicles parked in this lot will experience delayed departure due to pedestrian traffic and may not be allowed to leave until all shuttles have left the area. Please disengage the car alarms. Food and beverage will be available for purchase. Restroom facilities will be available. Vehicles parked along the south side of Ponce de Leon Drive will be towed at the owner’s expense.
• Ponce de Leon Drive will be closed from Magellan Drive to Balearic Road, including the Balboa Dam, from 7:00 pm until 10:30 pm or until all shuttles have left the area. No vehicles will be allowed across the dam after 7 pm. No food or beverage will be available for purchase from the Dam site. Restroom facilities will be available.
• Fireworks Shuttle Parking Locations:
- Balboa Baptist Church: Shuttle will run continuously from 5 pm until 8:30 pm and continue after the show. Riders will be dropped off at Balboa Pavilion.
- Christ of the Hills United Methodist Church will run continuously from 7 pm until 8:30 pm and be dropped off at the Balboa Dam. If you take this shuttle and want to view the show from the beach, you must walk across.
• If you have any questions, please call 501-922-0322.
By Cheryl Dowden